Thursday, October 28, 2010

Remnants 7 - Halloween Funsies

Carved this on Monday/Tuesday from 10:30 PM to 1:30 AM. As a not-so-random sidenote, I didn't go into limbo that night (morning?), probably because I had to keep my mind focused on getting this all to work out right.


I like pumpkins.

So when I was up on Life Balance and I was drawing pictures, I wasn't tooootally out of it. I'll first say that I was partially lying when I said I drew it after listening to Life Balance. A good portion of it was done when I was at Lich Arr's house. We were going to buckle down and do math homework, but needless to say, no math was done that day. Then that same day I listened to Life Balance and I finished the design.

From the get-go, this design was intended for use on a pumpkin, which is why all of the lines are connected. When I carve pumpkins, I don't do any of that scraping stuff. That's for lame people who aren't skilled enough to just carve all the way through. There's no need to make a gradient in a pumpkin, since good-looking images can still be made when restricting designs to just black and white. Also, if you're skilled, you connect all the lines in such a way that the image still looks completely natural. And then you cut all the way through the pumpkin and revel in the awe of your admirers reveling in the light of the candle that brings the pumpkin into ethereal luminosity...

Or you just sit and appreciate the fact that your handiwork can be appreciated by the neighborhood kiddies. That's fine too. Anyway, I like carving pumpkins, probably in part because of the challenge it gives me in making sure the each pumpkin stays stable enough to get in at least one good picture. For some reason or another, I started getting into pumpkin carving in 8th grade, and I probably have a few pictures of the clone troopers I cut somewhere, but all I have on hand besides the picture at the top are pictures from 2008 and 2009.



2 comments: