Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Remnants 12 - A Shocking Revelation & "Dust"

So I thought about it for a while and realized that the main reason I don't have too many MIXes out is probably the fact that I tend to write freaking long stories for them. 'Twas quite the realization, I must say. I do know I have at least three MIXes with over a thousand words, and one more that isn't done yet, but all of those had to be that long because I had to fit each complete story in them. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that I've been thinking too big for my stories and that I need to practice writing more basic things that are made long through meaningful description.

So I'll start practicing with this short, titled "Dust."

The world lay still, a wasteland of dust. He made it stir, with the careless way his feet shuffled through the layer that covered the ground. He knew not for what he walked; he just wanted to find something. Then he did. He had been climbing a hill, only now he knew it was not a hill. From it rose broken beams and crooked lampposts, monuments to a village that was no longer. Suddenly, he stopped shuffling; he came to rest in the murky twilight. With others at last; not alone. Then the world lay still, a wasteland of dust.

1 comment:

  1. i like it! :) shorts are a bit hard, but they're fun to do. (personal experience.)

    ReplyDelete