Sunday, November 14, 2010

Remnants 9 - I have issues

So a couple minutes ago I read this post on Wesley's blog and it made me reflect a little on something I've reflected on increasingly in recent times.

That aforementioned something is my ability to set my priorities straight, or lack thereof. Or maybe it's my general laziness. Or my selective dedication/determination/willingness to exert myself. Or m...

Whatever that something is, I'll be describing it in this post, so allow me to introduce you to one of its little quirks that I think really helps define it.

See, I said that I've been thinking about it more and more, and yet I still don't have a solid answer on what exactly it is. In fact, I'd be willing to say that the more I think about it, the more potential candidates I come up with. Such is the nature of this something - a formless abomination that ceaselessly consumes my time and my ability to concentrate and work on what needs to get done.

It is this very creature that keeps me awake this morning; I'm not working on chemistry homework or college applications, although at some point between dinner and now I may have tried to. No, in times like these I instead find myself doing things like watching three and a half hours of anime (as I did yesterday until 4:37AM) , scouring the Internet for music, or, as I am now, writing some random thing for this class that, in the grand scheme of my life, will be ultimately useless.

What's more is that, as a result of my minimal inclusion of feeble efforts to do real work in these dark hours, my mind is able to overlook this monster, instead filling the gap with some valiant explanation - oh, sure I was up until 5 working on that essay, because working on something like that to fulfill the bracket of quality that mine falls into would definitely take a full 11 hours of distraction-free writing.

As horrible as this something is, I can't say it's been all bad. It seems to have granted me the ability to function at a normal (or above-normal?) level with two or fewer hours of sleep, unless that ability was obtained as a byproduct of having to work into the early hours with in place of that Peter kid on that one project in freshman year. Additionally, it's given me something to wri--


FFFFUUUUUUUUUU-- WHY AM I AWAAAAKE

4 comments:

  1. D:
    is everything funny yet? actually, i have concluded that how you act early in the morning when you should be sleeping is equivalent to how you act as a drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming you're right, inx, I think I would generally be a pretty mellow drunk.
    Actually yesterday I was talking in the staff lounge with some people while I was volunteering at the Science Center and they were saying that there was a study on whether drunk driving or sleep-deprived driving was worse. I don't remember for sure, but I think sleep-deprived was worse, which could mean that sleep deprivation is a more powerful drug than alcohol.
    See my research on Late-night Limbo

    ReplyDelete